Wednesday, November 25, 2009

11/20/09

Entry # 2, 11.20.09

We have now been in Cuenca for almost two weeks, and for the past five days, our new apartment. I will not discuss how much the rent is, because most of you who are reading this live in California or New York. Nonetheless, we are happily settled into a small two bedroom apartment in downtown Cuenca, about six blocks from the town square. I enrolled in Spanish class this past week and have just completed my first five days of education. My teacher Rafael Mendez is a 24 year-old native Cuencano who has been fantastically patient with me. They could not pay him enough to respond kindly to the various animal-like utterances that have emanated from my mouth over the past week. He also was generous to offer retribution should the gentleman who groped Becca the other day while jogging decide to repeat offend.

There is much to say about our experience here, but our reviews are entirely dependent on the mood that precedes the commentary. Thus, here are two reviews of Cuenca and Ecuador so far, each written from distinct emotional perspectives.

Review #1
Cuenca is loud, the air is filled with exhaust, and the drivers all seem to have homicidal intent when they get behind the wheel. Pedestrians have the rights of squirrels, and Becca has already begun to do research on local hospital care in anticipation of the first collision. Many of the locals have not been particularly friendly, which has been frustrating for us, especially considering our stereotypes about hospitable Latino culture. The men, in particular, seem to reserve their most dignified behavior for Becca when she is alone. These experiences have led Becca to be especially interested in volunteering at a local domestic violence shelter. Furthermore, vegetarianism is not easy, and some of the basic American comforts are more elusive here. The river, which looked really beautiful during my online research, is shallow and somewhat dirty, and we have nicknamed it El Rio Basura.

Review #2
Things are going great here. We found a really cute apartment in an attractive part of the city, and it is equipped with swanky furniture, a sweet little balcony, and a spare bedroom reserved for those of you who visit. It is an amazing luxury to be housed each month for the price of an elaborate dinner at Chez Panisse. The landlord may be the nicest man ever, and he and his wife have been incredibly welcoming towards us. They brought us over dinner for no reason the other night and have planned a camping trip for us in the next week. Their 10 month-old son is also a perfect outlet for Becca's maternal energy. We have met some other generous and kind Ecuadorians, and there is a nice communal feel in this manageably sized city.

The hills that surround the city are lush and beautiful, the weather is perfect, and there is a great national park 20 miles away. I play basketball in an arena that seats at least 6,000 people, and I almost always have it to myself. Becca has found some enticing volunteering opportunities, as well as some yoga studios with neat classes. I can get a lentil burger or a dozen roses down the street for a dollar. The mangoes are sweeter than gummy bears. We are learning about a new and fascinating culture and grateful to see the world through a different lens.

7 comments:

  1. I love reading about your perceptions...traffic, homogenous/carnivorous-centered diet, the pollution, and the cultural/religious differences in appropriate vs. offensive behavior all make the challenges greater, but sooo worth it!!! How about leaving behind the modern conveniences like hot water, washing machine/dryer, heaters, variety of cuisines whenever you want, speaking the language of your community? It is all so new! And yet it is totally maneageable and enriching in spite of the headache. Hang in there!!! You will get your rhythmn in no time. It will help once you have a volunteership as a place to build community. Can't wait to come and visit. How much are plane tickets between Quito and Bogota? I know the bus is 24 hours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Guys!!!!

    Loving the blog so far so please keep it up. Very humorous and real. Hope I get a chance to see it first hand. You know you're welcome back to Belize anytime. Best of luck with everything.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi B & G,
    How exciting! I love your blog. It is great to be able to connect with you, despite the distance. I am so happy that you can both share this amazing journey together. I am very proud of you.
    Much love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the dual-review approach here! the truthfulness kind of reminds me of your holiday newsletter (but less inappropriate). :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. First I would like to know where my inappropriate holiday newsletter is (see shari comment above). Second, you guys totally rock and are an inspiration for bravery and adventurousness. Your commentaries are lovely expressions of your personalities and make me miss you. I cannot wait to follow this blog! LOVE you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You two are doing a great job of representing gringos abroad! Keep up the good work! Becca- fake mustaches are known to be a good deterent of would-be gropers (unless, of course, a mustache is EXACTLY what the groper is looking for in his/her next gropee). Otherwise, mace is probably legal in a barbaric country like Ecuador. In all seriousness, I hope the groping comes to an end soon! Greg- Next time you write about playing basketball I want to hear that Cuencans are making pilgrimages to the stadium to come watch "El Mago del Norte" bust threes in Ecuadorian face and yell "Saca esa mierda de mi cocina" after blocking an opponent's shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn it, I wrote a long message and it erased when I tried to post it. Grrr.

    Lets see, basically, I am happy to get a snapshot of life so far in Cuenca through your awesome blog! Thanks for taking the time to write. I hope it doesn't interfere with life as you wish to experience it there (without the whole "I should be writing my blog right now instead of relaxing" internal voice thingy going on). So, when you neglect the blog I'll assume that you've made friends (besides the adorable baby), found fulfilling activities to fill the day, and are simply too busy to write. If all of these things come true AND you find time to write, I really look forward to reading all of your posts and seeing your pictures. I hope the positive outweighs the negative most of the time.

    Love and miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete