Wednesday, December 2, 2009

12/02/09




Things continue to evolve well down here, and we just had a full weekend that featured a camping adventure, followed by a national championship soccer match that made the Super Bowl feel lame. But for now, we will practice the art with which we are most familiar, that of complaining.

Today’s Theme:
A Commentary on a Small Portion of the Ecuadorian Male Population In Terms of their Behavior towards Women

You may have read in an earlier post Becca’s unfortunate run-in with an outspoken 20 year-old the other week while jogging. The incident did not leave lasting damage, and Becca’s physical safety was never threatened. We have met many outstanding men and women here, but unfortunately there is an undertone of sexism that has the subtlety of lightning. Please allow the following ventilations.

I was walking along the river this past weekend in the afternoon and noticed a teenage girl strolling innocently towards me. If we were the only two characters in this story, the incident would have been unremarkable. Unfortunately for her, there was a profoundly disinhibited 50 plus year-old man in between the two of us. As the distance closed between the two of them, the man proceeded to reach out towards the woman in an attempt to slide his hand across her chest. The teenager, unfazed, as if she had confronted such situations routinely, expertly swatted the man’s hand away and walked on unharmed.
I trail behind the man until he stops in the middle of a bridge. Something in my brain tells me to make a comment about the tranquility of the river. He looks at me, confused, and then I realize this is the time for confrontation. It is also at this point that I realize I do not speak Spanish. I utter the following: Senor, la mujere (the woman)- really? No, Senor, Come on! He looks at me, perplexed and perhaps slightly irritated, and I walk away. No, it was not a seminal moment in the feminist history of Ecuador.

Our neighbor recently left her husband after discovering text messages on his phone that revealed an ongoing affair. When confronted about the infidelity, he commented “Soy hombre (I am a man),” as if this not only explained but provided the moral foundation for his actions. Becca and I are really hoping they do not get back together.

Okay, enough of Greg’s voice; this is Becca now. While I am equally if not more enraged by the machismo here, Greg and I have also been quite touched by the community-mindedness of Cuenca. As you all can probably imagine, we were anticipating that Thanksgiving would be a lonely day here--all of our family in the U.S. and no Ecuadorian celebrations here. One point during the day was particularly sad; it was an hour after we’d told our friends to arrive and we were convinced they had forgotten. The food was getting cold, and I was staring at the computer waiting for my family to call me- this was a low moment. Greg and I began debating about whether or not to invite strangers in to eat with us when Maru and Pablo arrived, all dressed up, with a nice bottle of wine and a genuine interest in learning more about the holiday. Pictures from the night are at the top of this post.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm that’s a tough one, Greg, in re. to the exchange on the bridge. Here's an option for what you can say next time - maybe you could memorize it, or print on a 3x5 for the back pocket?

    "Señor, buenos días/buenas tardes, mi nombre es Gregorio H.(¿?) Brensilver y quisiera compartir mi opinión sobre el comportamiento que usted acaba de demostrar. Yo reconozco que usted y yo nos hemos formado como personas en culturas diferentes, y que yo veo el mundo desde una perspectiva definida por mis propias experiencias subjetivas dentro de mi propia cultura. Reconozco también que los valores que yo he adoptado son, en parte, un producto de la vida de privilegio extremo que me ha tocado: el ambiente económico, familial y educacional en que me crié es un lujo al cual 99.9% de las personas del mundo no tiene acceso. Sin embargo y a pesar de eso, estoy profundamente convencido que existen verdades universales, independiente a las posibles influencias culturales o económicos que nos puedan moldear como seres morales. Ahora que he demostrado mi comprensión de la complejidad extensa tras el intercambio intercultural que estamos experimentando juntos en este momento, llego a la opinión que quisiera compartir con usted: Usted es un viejo verde y un sinvergüenza. ¿Y si un hombre tratara así a su madre? ¿O a su hija? Piénselo, viejo, piénselo.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very comprehensive analysis, Bryce. You really spent some time on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry B and G, I'm an incredibly tardy blog-commentor. But I just have to say, Greg, you are incredibly brave! It warmed my heart to hear how you tried to stand up to this man's appalling behavior. If you can't say with certainty that the majority of Ecuadorian men behave in this way, or accept this behavior, then I'll place bets that he was just an exceptional asshole. Becca, I'm empathizing with the fear of being groped by strange men in public. I'm so sorry you have to face that fear. It was a similar culture I experienced in Salvador, Brazil, and in Mexico City (specifically on the subways). YUCKY!

    I'm so sad to hear about your low moment during Thanksgiving, but happy to hear your friends showed up! I'm sorry that distractions of life here have been keeping me from being in better touch...especially on holidays. I send you guys two big November and December holiday hugs from Cali. Miss you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. E-You may be "tardy" but you're especially sweet. Please, don't worry at all...no need to comment!
    I had fun talking with Sergio the other day & hope to talk with you soon too. Have an awesome New Year!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete