Monday, December 7, 2009

12/07/09

Neither Becca nor I have ever been particularly good dancers. Thus, when our new Columbian friends invited us to a Salsa Club this past Saturday, there was an outbreak of apprehension. We were left to rely on the force of two resources: hope and intoxication.

For the first half hour at the club, our cover remained intact as we sat around conversing in a booth with our four hosts. It was not long, however, before each of us was asked to dance; Greg by Andrea and Becca by Jose Luis. It is not insignificant that our two female hosts are strikingly beautiful and dance with a fluidity that led to the development of crushes for both Greg and Becca. All four of the Columbians dance skillfully, and this did not help our confidence. I have danced probably 1000 times to Michael Jackson’s Billie Jean and Man in the Mirror, and the results are still painful to witness. With this completely new style of music and dance, the expectations were that much more dim.

It is difficult to describe how the dancing evolved on this night, but there are a couple of highlights that reflect the quality of the experience. As Andrea patiently coached me though some of the basic Salsa steps, Yarith carefully watched and critiqued. At last, I finally mastered one of the elementary steps, and Jadit commented: “bueno, pero un poco mas sexy.” This comment has since become a favorite expression around our house. Becca did not fare too much better, and she was met with some similarly non-subtle commentary. The most memorable line was “eso, pero con ritmo,” or “like that, but with rhythm.” Overall, it was an incredibly fun, albeit humbling evening. Tonight, we’re going over to the Columbians’ house to continue teaching them English, which they have requested. It will be nice to feel a little more competent.

7 comments:

  1. Xney on the salsa-dance alk-tay. Karen might hear and get all excited and make me take dance lessons. For us super gringos, you might need to do a little bit more translating. Greg, were they telling you that a dog is a little more sexy? Rebecca, I still remember when you, Andrea, Grace and I went to the dance club in Santiago (or at least, somewhere in Chile). Both Grace and Andrea could dance...you and I, not so much.

    What is up the street dogs? I would be really happy if you could take in a nice medium sized female (60 plus pounds) that was very sweet, listened well, and got along with other dogs and cats. I mean, I'm just sayin..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Having witnessed your dance moves many a time (my favorite being as you sweat through your shirt at Amy and Pete's wedding) I can only imagine your salsa skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. david- i think they were telling greg "good but a little more sexy" which is more or less embarrassing than what they told becca, can we take a vote?
    and i love it that you're already advocating that they get a dog. didn't take you very long! did becca tell you about the animal shelter she saw? so sad....
    b&g-- love that story, i could totally picture it all unfolding. hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. good translation, shari. don't worry, i won't plan any salsa club outings for the time you're here.
    david-i'll keep my eye out for a dog for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys may not be the best dancers in the southern hemisphere, but you certainly write one of the most delightful and endearing travel blogs I have ever read. Keep it up. Your posts always brighten my day.

    -Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Charlito. I'm glad we have a fan out there. Feliz Channukah and Happy New Year. May it be a happy one...

    -G

    ReplyDelete
  7. “bueno, pero un poco mas sexy.” “eso, pero con ritmo,”

    Ja ja ja ja ho man solid GOLD

    ReplyDelete