Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Step 1

Coconuts are one of the many fruits in abundance in Ecuador. They are unfortunately as difficult to open as they are delicious, but with some creativity, Becca and I have devised an effective strategy. There are four steps, each of which is illustrated below.

First, I maniacally stab the outer surface with my Leatherman multi-tool (a fantastic gift from David), which is the only knife strong enough to pierce through. At this point, approximately 20 ounces of delicious liquid is drained into a glass (see figure 1).

Next is the most fun part. We have discovered that the distance between our balcony and the street is aligned perfectly with the laws of physics, meaning that the distance is sufficient for breaking a coconut without shattering it. Becca enjoys the role of dropper, and I wait at the bottom to retrieve the treasure. After that, it's time to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment